Saturday, September 10, 2005


Katrina Clean-up Crew

I'm not going to sleep easily tonight. My 17 year old, Nathan, volunteered to go with a clean up crew heading down to the Mississipppi coast. He is an amazing young man, team captain of his swim team (which took 2nd in Texas last year, almost 1st), designed shelves/desk unit which his school built for all the English teachers this summer, super grades, and much more. His older brother is heading down the next weekend. The group headed down today after work/school, long drive down, will sleep in tents, work all Saturday and Sunday clean up downed trees, patching roofs, long drive back, school/work Monday. I'm sure he'll have some stories to tell.

It hit me when I got a call today, saying to make sure that he brought at least 5 gallons of water for himself, heavy-duty mosquito repellent, boots (preferrably rubber), gloves, first aid supplies, sleep bag, tools, etc. They are going to an area directly hit by Hurricane Katrina. It can't but help leave an impact on him. I'm proud of my son, I know he will be alright, but I'll sleep easier once he gets back home.

Heidi

No comments: